Saturday, December 14, 2019

Rubber lots more Rubber!

They came! The Tires are here! I am going to have to get things done now! I have tires to install and a truck to put back together. I searched eBay for a split rim tool I had found a few. I debated for a while if I needed one. After I got the tool three minuets after opening the box I decided I should have bought one in the beginning. This tool is awesome and a major help taking the rims apart and putting them back together. Now in no way does the tool make rims any safer they are still very dangerous. So I also had a small accident with the rear end. Just after I finished painting the rear end, I decided to rotate the third member so it was pointing down. As I rotated it one of the axle tubes had some clear coat over spray and it stuck to my rag on the jack stand. As my eyes bulged out of my head I watched the rear end fall off one side of the jack stand and smash on to the floor! ( I cried.) My "I'm going to let this down before it accidentally fell", made it fall. I had to heat and bend back the backing plate that got bent. That ruined my beautiful paint job. But lesson learned, tears shed and pride hurt. I can fix it. Whats a few more hours of paint and body work.







Thursday, October 31, 2019

Red, I saw RED!

So the first time I painted the frame it was supposed to be basic single stage paint. Just paint and polish "well nope". The paint turned out to be base coat. Not enamel like I asked for so it never hardened properly. It buffed clean threw in spots. Luckily I didn't have to start over completely. I just scuffed the whole frame with scotch-brite pads reapplied the red base coat and then applied a clear coat. I was a little upset with not getting the right paint in the first place. But should have paid a little more attention and I also had clear coat laying around and was not afraid to use it. So it turned out great in the end. But the effort was tremendous (famous last words " I'm never going to do that again")   I have to let the the clear cure for a week or so before I can get the motor, transmission, drive line and rear end back in it. Lots to do. More painting to come.




More Epoxy!

Epoxy more painting! Yeahhh! Epoxy I'm so excited. I got the rims finally worked out and in primer they need a little touch up to make them look a little better ( just cosmetic filler for a ding or two in the flat of the rim) I also got the rear end in final primer, hubs and hub bolts, locks. Next red paint and clear. Date code on the rear end makes it absolute 1933.






Wednesday, September 4, 2019

New rubber.

The rubber guides for the brake rods needed to be replaced. Again a unobtainable part anymore so I am making a new one. One of my friends used to work for a industrial company and was able to get my a piece of a conveyor belt. What he got me was supper close to the old rubber, same thickness and a similar style. My neighbor was nice enough for me to use there scroll saw table to cut it out. Then I just used my belt sander to finish the edges. I had my machine shop punch 5/8 hole in the center then I finished it out with a drimel tool with a small barrel sander. They turned out perfect.



Wednesday, July 24, 2019

I just sanded and boy! are my arms tired!

Brake dust is nasty! So when I had my brake shoes relined I didn't know they needed to be sized to drum. After a little research and some on line questioning ( thanks  Trevor D.) I learned about brake shoe grinders. Now these wonderful Ammco 2000 brake shoe grinders a hard to find and are illegal for company's to use in the U.S. because of brake dust. Unless I can find a individual with a shoe grinder hand sanding is where I am at. A hand sanding I go. I do recommend a Tyvec suit or at least long sleeve shirt, rubber gloves that cover wrists and leather gloves on top of that, and a respirator.
I had the respirator on and one set of rubber gloves. The brake dust covered my arms and got in to the gloves I had on so now I am itching like crazy. At least it's not asbestos (I checked!). It takes about 3 hours per set to sand to fit. I put some painters tape in the drum to help the sand paper to stick. I used a 3m 36 grit board sanding paper. I would sand the shoe for about 20-30 passes then flip it for another 20-30 passes. Then I would swap shoes and repeat. It took several times of sand and fit, to get it just right. But after I got it done it was a perfect fit.



Friday, June 21, 2019

some done and more to come.

So I am still working on this. Time and family have got the best of me the past couple of years. I have had almost every thing to finish the chassis for a while. I got some time to put some of the chassis together. I will take a few thing back apart for painting like the front axle and brake cables. I went ahead and replaced the bolts for all the brakes and most every thing else. I have all the old bolts bagged and separated just in case I want to take the time and put it 100% original. So on with the show! New king pins installed and shimmed. I got the new tie rod ends on all the brake cables and linkage hooked up. Went to local parts store and picked up front wheel seals ( Yes they still make and use them.). Now I need to get the rear end primed and start painting ( this time I mean it.) If I can I will prime the split rims while I am at it. Then hopefully order some tires!


Friday, December 14, 2018

Rivets

I was looking for some thing else at my local small town convenience/hardware/plumbing/grocery/gas station store. ( I live in a town of 600 people ). They have about everything for a quick fix. So I look on a dusty old shelf and see some rivets laying there, my curious mind say's "ohhh rivets!" as I am going threw the boxes I find wide faced finder rivets. These are seemingly hard to find. I purchased all they had. They are so close the head size is a little smaller but passable. So fender rivets have been found.