Thursday, August 27, 2015

Well transmission is done. I primed it on a Tuesday night and painted it on Thursday and added a little stainless to dress it up a little. I also took the differential apart and got all of the bearings lined out, so next week I will start rebuilding it. Then the only thing left is the front hubs and brakes. And I have a running and rolling chassis. Ohhh yeah!!! Can't wait to get the chassis done so I can put the motor back in!!

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Chassis coming along

I finished cleaning off the frame, and started cutting off broken brackets and hangers. I pulled Granddaddy's truck under the covered side of the garage to start cleaning off the frame on it. I pulled off the front bumper brackets/leaf spring hanger and came up with one good one and one half good one. I the half good one is all there but has a broken tabs for the front bumper. So I took them to Hoods machine in Bolivar Mo. to see if they could weld it back together for me. I talked to Hoods and we are going to try to come up some 3/8s rivets to replace the old ones. I have several holes that were drilled in the old frame to weld up before sand blasting. I have one step hanger I have to swap from one truck to the other, then I can start putting the frame together. I started taking apart the rear diff and found out the rear bearings are easy to get. So soon I will have the transmission and the rear end all rebuilt and ready to go much quicker than thought. (hopefully) I had to get a new socket for the rear end its only a 3 1/4in  nut. While taking the wheels off I got a small surprise, a hand full of dead scorpions.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

deconstructing truck #2

I got a wild hire and worked all night the other night. I completely emptied the frame of my other truck. I pulled the cowling off first then just kept going. By one in the morning I had the engine, clutch housing and the transmission pulled. Then I started on the rear duels. I pulled the outer wheels off and removed the axles. Then I lifted the whole frame up and slid the rear housing out from under the frame.  It is a good thing this is only a parts truck. When I pulled the axles out metal shavings came out with them and the bearing retainer nuts have been welded in place. I have to get a socket to take off the 3 1/4 inch bearing retainer nut. But it looks like the rear end under the parts truck is only going to be good for dead weight. The transmission was not any better, the case on this one was cracked.  But the more I dig into granddaddy's the more I think it was completely rebuilt just before it was stuck by the well drill. I ordered the bearings for the transmission last week, which all but one was on the shelf at the local parts store. So now my good transmission is sitting in a bath of degreaser. then it is going to have a good cleaning and new paint.

Saturday, August 8, 2015

motor ready!

Well I got busy lately and finished out the motor, it is ready to run. I took the transmission and put it on a engine stand. I power washed 72 years of dirt off it and found out the top had been repainted black. As I took off the shifter I saw what looked like brand new gears and a really clean housing. I removed the drive gears and bearings. I went to the local auto store and got new bearings for the transmission and as soon as I can I will clean the trans housing and paint it. Then put it all back together. My father and me took my truck from Texas and put it in the frame in the shop. So soon as I can I will strip the chassis pull the spare motor and all the finders and mounts, then have the frame sandblasted, then prep and paint.