The carb top is fixed. I talked with a older gentleman that told me a way to fix the warped top on the carb. He told me it is a slow and tedious process and a lot of patience. I was a bit reluctant to try this one but I did it. First I had Hoods machine shop make me a piece of flat plate steel to put it on. They had to cut a hole in the bottom to let the carb top sit flat. Then I had to measure the gaps with a set of feeler gauges. Then here comes the hard and stressful part slowly using C-clamps clamp out .003 thousands of a inch then put the carb top in the oven at 275 F place it in a cold oven and let the whole thing warm up slowly. I gauged out each part of the carb and clamped out each part separately. I started out with .016 on the right side then clamped it down to .013 if you clamp out to much it will snap and brake the pot metal. So once it heated up to 275 F I let it set in the oven for ten minutes then pulled the whole thing out and let it cool slowly. When it got cool enough to touch I clamped out another .003 thousands of a inch. then put it back in the oven turned it back on to 275 F and did it all over again and again till it was flat. It took several clamps in several places and a lot of patience and a whole day to complete. but it looks like it worked. I couldn't get the .0015 thousands of a inch feeler gauge under any point. I let it cool over night before I removed the clamps and plate.
Friday, April 10, 2015
Sunday, April 5, 2015
Another truck! I had a friend send me a email about a 1929 International on Ebay that looked a lot like my 1933. I took a look and sure enough it was a B-3 and it had a lot of parts I needed. (mostly fenders, hood and grille.) It also had another complete engine. So a couple bids on Ebay and I was the proud owner of a second truck. So my Father, Son and I went to Texas to pick it up. A gentleman named Andrew had the truck. He had saved the truck from being scraped and wanted to try to restore it, but would have needed to have another truck to restore his. Lucky for me I saw it. The passenger side fender is almost perfect, it has a whole hood! and all the steering linkage I need to replace on mine. So a big thanks to Andrew for saving the truck from the scrap yard. It is going to a good home and going to be put to good use. And save me a lot of time and money. It is guy's like Andrew that look at these old trucks thinking that it is not just scrap and save them from being a memory. You can't save them all but when parts are this scares, I am so glad he did! My luck on this rebuild is unbelievable Granddaddy must be watching over it. From the beginning it has been spectacular! The day before we left to get the truck in June I met Tom Underwood that had all my engine parts. The weeks after any thing that broke, caused me trouble has been a easily fixed. I have talked with many people and met many others that have Internationals that have helped me with knowledge of the trucks. I couldn't be doing this with out the people helping me on this project. So thank you! And a big nod to Granddaddy who started this all.
I took the block to the O'Reilly machine shop to have the mains line honed. So hope fully soon I can get it back and get some red paint on it and get to putting it back together. I also found a new distributor on line. I finally got all of my head studs and new nuts in.
This before and after is where Dave fixed the crack in my head.