Saturday, November 29, 2014

I spent some time on the water pump pulley. The pulley slides front to back to adjust the belt tension. The two pieces were locked together and would not come apart. I soaked them in Marvel Mystery Oil and PB blaster for two days then slowly drove them apart. Cleaned them up with a wire wheel and now it looks and works like new just needs paint.

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving! Today I cleaned and washed the engine and cleaned and washed it some more then I spent a hour taping off all mounting surfaces for primer then I took a brake ate a great turkey dinner. Then got back out to the shop and put on some primer!

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Water pump woes I took apart the water pump and this is what I found, only 3/4 of the impeller there so far I can't find a replacement so it looks like I will have to make a new one. And it came of in two pieces. I cleaned the carburetor a little and my garage, I couldn't find any thing. Looks like it is about time to start cutting some gaskets and taping off the engine block for primer. The truck is at my fathers house so it is a bit hard to drive over to work on little things, so I am going to bring over some of the pieces of the truck to my house to work on. Like the cab to start working on the wooden frame.

Saturday, November 1, 2014

I got the crank back from the machine shop and my new bearings in the mail the day before. This week I will clean the block for painting. And I will start working on the small parts of the motor, water pump intake ect... Now the big debate goes on how to paint the engine (original colors of course.) but do I put it all together and paint it as a whole like it would have come out, or do I clean it up and make it neat. I am leaning toward neat. I have also researched what colors the the factory offered for the truck and parts so I have some choices on the body colors that were available in that year. Lots to do and est. two and a half years left to do them in. Lately I have met some more people that can help me in this journey how small this world is I met a man that lives less than 500 yards from me that has several 1930's International trucks and has offered some advice. And hinted that he may have some parts for the truck!

I decided to Google electrostatic engine cleaning and came up with lots of ideas. So I figured that I could do it my self so for a little less than forty dollars I was able to clean the rust from the engine my self. It was real easy(This is not for everyone I felt I was fully capable to do this on my own!). Use a 55 gallon plastic barrel fill with water and house hold washing soda, place waste electrodes in line of sight of rust you want to remove, hook up a negative clamp from battery charger to engine, positive to waste electrodes. Keeping electrodes from touching the block was the hard part! I used a piece of rubber drilled holes for my waste electrodes and ran them threw the block, I attached the other ends with wooden blocks to keep them from making contact with the block. Applied electricity and watched it go!( Please remember this is electricity and it can kill if not handled properly!.) If it is working properly the negative piece will bubble and the removal of rust will begin. The other down side to this is it has to be outside the bubbles coming from the water are Hydrogen and Oxygen which is flammable!. So I safely completed the cleaning. The engine sat in it's bath for 48 hours or more. And you can see from the pictures below just how much rust came off!.