Thursday, December 18, 2014

wishing I had a blast cabinet!

I have been cleaning all of the engine parts by hand lately. I have spent a lot of time behind a 3m pad and wire wheel. And I have used more degreaser than I would like to admit. It is amazing how hard seventy year dried dirt can be. I spent at least two hours with my dremel tool cleaning tight places, and I am still not done. I am two seconds away from going to go buy a blast cabinet! I have a sand blaster might as well use it. The only problem is if I ruin a part I am done for, not much out there for this truck left. So for now slow and tedious. I found a few pin holes in the bottom of the oil pan nothing to hard to fix 30 seconds with the mig welder and good as new. Every thing is cleaning up nice so paint should be coming when it the temp warms up. Water pump up date I might have found a impeller and a place to rebuild the bushings in the pump. I am waiting on a email for the impeller with a photo and dimensions on a old part with a similar number. I cleaned up the purolator oil filter except the old graphic. I found a picture on the internet of the label hopefully I can have a new one made.

Monday, December 8, 2014

New Cylinders installed!

Today I spent a little bit of the morning cleaning off paint and grime on some of the small engine parts. Got a good deal cleaned off the valve cover and some of the other parts. Then loaded up the kids and went to my Dad's to work on the engine a little. I cleaned some over sprayed paint off of the top of the engine, and finished cleaning out the water jackets, and then with the help of my son we installed the sleeves and pistons! Soon I will have to primer the rest of the small engine pieces and then spray some color. So far so good and it has only been six months!


The cylinders slid in easy!
Number one.

One left.