Last week my father and me removed the cylinders from the block, and today I cleaned and pressure washed the block. It still needs some rust removal from the water jackets. I am looking in to many different ways to do this. A few I have entertained is chemical (taking it some where to be dipped.), Electrostatic cleaning (which puts the block in a solution then applies a electrical charge to it and the rust repels off) it's really cool! or just good old fashioned elbow grease and a wire brush. I also received all of the engine bearings. So far so good soon I will be painting the engine and accessories and putting the engine back together! I will post the pictures soon.
Monday, October 13, 2014
Last month I took the engine out and transmission. I had been turning the engine by hand and all of the sudden it stopped. I got a little worried that some thing major was wrong. when I took the transmission off I found out why! The pack rats had took all of the batting out of the seat and stuffed it threw a half inch drain hole in the clutch housing causing the engine to not be able to move. After that I took the engine apart. Again no problems. I took the crank to a local machine shop to be balanced and smoothed. And went to Hoods machine shop in Bolivar Mo to have a cylinder removal tool made. Big thanks to Dave! and Mark. It helps to know your local machine shops( or be related to the owners). So now all I am waiting on is bearings to arrive and to have the crank back then its time clean and rebuild the engine all new parts!
Wednesday, October 1, 2014
I started deconstructing the truck last month and so far it has been going great!. Lots of work done and very little to go wrong so far. Every time I turn a bolt I say quietly to my self "I LOVE NEW MEXICO!" I say this because it is mostly apart. So far only one broken bolt!